News Insight ADB

SOUMAYA panelization test

Having visited Soumaya Museum, I found the principle solution with the hexagon facade quite interesting and seemingly simple. Of course, it doesn't make it any less spectacular. But is everything so simple? I tried to lay out hexagons on a complex facade surface using LunchBox in Grasshopper, but the panels changed their shape quite a bit. It was necessary to contain the change in their original geometric characteristics. After analyzing several sources, I used Kangaroo forces, which helped preserve the original geometric parameters as much as possible, such as the angles inside the hexagons and their diagonals. It took me quite a long time to find the golden mean of combining their values, but I did it. Without complicating my life, in order not to wait for long miscalculations, I used about 7000 hexagons, instead of 16000 in the original. The next step was to perform a small optimization, namely additional averaging of the limit values of the resulting hexagons with a preliminary grouping of them by parameters such as area, diagonal lengths, and internal angles.